09 February 2014

Totally interesting article: The book I'd give my ten-year-old self

In the Mail on Sunday's Event magazine today I saw a really interesting article: The book I'd give my ten-year-old self. This article talks to famous authors/writers and asks them what book they'd give to themselves at ten, from classics like Little Women to more modern books like The Hunger Games trilogy.

Children's laureate Malorie Blackman chooses Talking Turkeys by Benjamin Zephaniah. Poet Michael Rosen says Matilda by Roald Dahl would probably have made him the happiest.

The Waterstones Children's Book Prize is the UK's biggest annual awards given to a work of children's literature

Anthony Horowitz says The Usborne Book of Greek Myths would be for him. Many other people you may know got involved so why not have a read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2553196/Hunger-Games-Northern-Lights-The-book-Id-ten-year-old-self.html

The article is because on Feb 13th the shortlist for the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize will be announced - I definitely cannot wait to read what's on it.

If you're an adult what book would you choose? And if you're a ten year old (or around that age) have you read any of these and do you agree? I'm currently reading Little Women so I totally agree with Kate Mosse!     

3 comments:

  1. It wasn't published when I was 10 but I think I would've loved The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. And that fact that you loved Wonder so much probably means I would've liked that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm MUCH older than 10 ;), so the book that came to mind first wasn't out way back in the 60s! It actually only came out a couple of years ago. In my opinion, every young girl/woman (or boy, for that matter!) should read THE BOY PROJECT by Kami Kinard. It's a really enjoyable read with a message (not didactic at all!) that if I, as a young girl, had taken to heart, may have avoided an awful lot of nonsense through my life :) To me, it really is a "must read"! Definitely read it, Lexie :D

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!:)